Southern Oregon Digital Archives Conditions of Use
Southern Oregon Digital Archives provides a corpus of materials for public use, research, and viewing for education and scholarship. Although these materials are publicly accessible, they are not necessarily in the public domain. For materials not in the public domain, Hannon Library has sought permission from authors, publishers, and copyright owners to scan and mount these materials for research and educational purposes only.
The nature of collection, which includes many materials in the public domain means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult to determine. Whenever possible, the SODA Project provides information about copyright owners and permissions in the metadata as a service to aid patrons in determining the appropriate use of an item, but that determination ultimately rests with the patron.
It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when copying or distributing materials found in the Southern Oregon Digital Archives. When possible, we have provided specific information about copyright in the metadata to aid patrons in determining the appropriate use of an item.
For materials protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), transmission or reproduction beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright and/or property owners.
We wish to acknowledge partner libraries, museums, archives, agencies, organizations, tribes, and individuals who have contributed texts and images to these collections. Credits are provided in the metadata of documents and images. Hannon Library is eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
By their use of these materials, users agree to the following conditions of use:
- The materials available on the Southern Oregon Digital Archives site are for research and educational use only. These materials may not be used for any publication or commercial purpose without permission of Hannon Library, and in the case of materials not in the public domain, permission from the copyright and/or property holder.
- Publication in any form, including electronic, requires written permission from the author and publisher of any materials that are not in the public domain.
- For purposes of private study, scholarship, and research, users may reproduce materials from the Southern Oregon Digital Archives without prior permission. If you are citing materials, please give proper attribution of the source.
- Users are not permitted to download files in order to mount them on their own servers for public use or for use by subscribers. With funding from IMLS and LSTA, Hannon Library and partner institutions have invested a great deal of time, money, and effort into scanning and metadata creation for these electronic editions. Individuals and institutions may make a link to Southern Oregon Digital Archives materials subject to our conditions of use.
To purchase print copies of photographic images in the Southern Oregon Digital Archives:
- Not all contributing partners provide reproduction prints of images in Southern Oregon Digital Archives for purchase. Please contact the partner library that contributed the image for any inquiries or to make arrangements.
- At this time, prints of photographs in the Peter Britt Photograph Collection may be purchased from the Southern Oregon Historical Society (www.sohs.org).
United States Copyright Law
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
When Citing Materials in the Southern Oregon Digital Archives
When using textual materials from the Southern Oregon Digital Archives, please acknowledge the name of the original author or creator, title, publisher, date and other publication information.
For photographs, please include the name of the copyright/property owner or library. Specific statements for citations may be included in the metadata.
Please acknowledge the Southern Oregon University Hannon Library as the digital publisher of the image or document.